Friday, July 4, 2008

journal post

So to follow that last entry which I do realize was the mother post of all posts I just wanted to journal some things that I do not want to forget (which happens all to easily for me).

I love watching the kids grow, and change, and develop into their own little people. I only wish time would slow enough for me to catch and store every image, every bit of their pride for finishing a book on their own or skipping a rock, every grateful sigh when I've mended a skinned knee or a torn teddy bear, every look of amazement when I swing the bucket and no water falls out or build a fort out of couch cushions. I want these moments for later when broken curfews and broken hearts take the place of the scattered toys and broken crayons. I've already witnessed the sacred whisperings of "BFF" between Chelsey and her friends, sitting cross legged on her bed with their pinkies entwined in promises of the future and their friendships.
I've sat on the edge of Ty's bed, doing my best to console him, after he cracked his good friend in the head with a metal baseball bat during "the game" that sent him to the hospital for some stitches. Thank goodness for the lady who was jogging by when it happened and kept us all calm. I tried to explain to Ty that "accidents happen" and reassured him that nobody was mad at him but we both ended up holding onto each other, crying, and letting the shock and shame of accidentally hurting a friend take it's course.
So time passes and everybody and everything changes. We are all learning and I only hope that what I get from yesterday and today will help to prepare me for tomorrow because I know that the challenges we face today will not be the same as the ones waiting for us in the future. When Kami is still awake at 10 and Dan and I have both tucked her in numerous times and lost our patience, I need to remember that one day I may be waiting to see her car lights pull into the driveway, with only hope that she will come home safe, sober, and happy.

Paige is climbing my back and I can tell by the "mama, mama" that it is nap time, which means I might be able to read a few pages of my book. Well, that is after lunch, and after the baby is nursed back to sleep, and after the other three are happily entertained.... wish me luck.

4 comments:

ec said...

andy, this is beautiful...thanks so much for sharing it.

Vanessa said...

Andrea, You made me cry. I wish that for you and all moms. May we all have long memories to help us in the future. Thank you for sharing.

Love Vanessa

The Lawlor's said...

You write like no other. That was a nice post to calm me down and help me appreciate the things I have. Thanks Andy.

stone's eye view said...

Loved it! You are an amazing mama!