Monday, March 30, 2009

the kids

Ty is at another Flames game tonight with Dan. I just talked to them on the phone and they are just leaving the Saddle Dome (or whatever it's called these days). Too bad the Flames lost. Ty didn't seem to care, he was excited to tell me about what else happened at the game... the drunk guys who got kicked out "and the police even came !" and the puck that Phaneuf gave him before the game. He sounded so little on the phone. I can't wait for them to get home and will probably stay up so I can tuck my tired boy into bed. He is at such a fun age and is learning about so many different things. He loves to tell me all about his day when he gets home from school, and is practising for his mini-stick debut at the school talent show next month.

Chelsey is such a dramatic girl. She loves her friends and always wants to have one or two over to play. Although they don't seem to "play" with toys at all. They do however run around acting silly or write notes to each other... and believe it or not these notes do sometimes involve boys! As I was bathing the babies tonight Chels was in the bathroom visiting with me and I noticed her checking out her reflection... and then so did she! She even commented "I just can't stop looking at myself in the mirror!". I told her not to worry about it, checking herself out in the mirror is a good thing. It might one day save her from wearing her pants inside out in public.

Kami is five! I can't believe it. She did good at her party and was surprisingly not too awkward. She even thanked her friends for the gifts and said goodbye to most of them. This is a pretty big step for Kami. She is not the most social little girl, opposite of her big sis. She does love to be home and play with me though. We've spent most of the last few days playing Barbies or Bratz to be exact, although I prefer the "myscene" gals myself. Sigh, I know. Tonight while she was helping me fold some laundry she pulled a pair of my pajama pants out of the basket and said "wow, these are really huge!". Thanks Kami!

Paige... or should I say "poo". The poor kid loves to be called this unfortunate name.... we think because she likes Winnie the Pooh but could also be because we've called her Paigey-poo one too many times since birth. She loves me to hold her on my lap, especially when I'm holding Nat. Then she looks up at me with her huge brown eyes and says "two".... meaning two babies. If I ask her is she's still my baby she says "no", I then ask "are you my big girl?" and she loves that idea. She loves to talk on the phone, real or pretend. She loves to sing and to dance. She burned her hand on the griddle last night and was so sad. Dan and I could not bring ourselves to put her to bed sad so she got to stay up late. But the poor girl was so tired, she eventually went into her room and turned on her Pooh night-light, a sure sign she's ready for bed. I wondered how her hand would be today but she didn't even seem to notice it.

Natty is turning into a crazy little baby. She has this grin where she scrunches her nose and shows all her teeth (which is a huge amount for a 10 month old.) She moves her chin to the side so her bottom teeth are beside her front teeth. She looks a little crazy, really. She loves to hit herself in the head with books and picture frames. She loves to laugh and to be laughed at. She is starting to crawl really fast and just puts her head down and goes, usually growling all the way. She loves to hold onto your hands and be walked around the room but only bends one leg and swings the other one. It's pretty cute. She is into everything, especially loves under the kitchen sink for some reason. She has decided to be a picky eater. She likes to squish her food in her hands and rub it in her hair or throw it on the floor but doesn't eat too much of it. I feel like I've tried so many different things to feed her and she will not eat any of it. She loves the stuff that is not good for her like processed cheese and Froot Loops (the kids fed her these things, NOT her desperate mother...I swear!). She would eat bananas for every meal if I gave them to her but I feel like she needs a bit more variety than that, no?

So there you have it. My life in a nutshell, and I'm not crawling out anytime soon. I feel so very blessed to have these kids. I feel daunted on a daily basis that I have been trusted with these little people. To be their mother. It's craziness, really. I can say for a fact that I have learned a massive amount because of them, about them, about myself, about love, about life.

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Awesome blog. You are a great Mother and do such a wonderful job with them. I am very proud of you. Keep up the good work. They are great kids.

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

I think it is amazing that you can take care of that many kids. Sometimes I feel exhausted with just one!

Jodi Pilling said...

Andy..I loved this post. Even though I have only seen your kids a handful of times while running into you here and there I feel like I know them a little. They are so cute & so are you! Have a GREAT day!