Tuesday, January 12, 2010

the hockey game

Ty, Dan, and I went to the Flames game last night. It was so fun. The Flames lost but the game was intense and the Flames played really well. Unfortunately, so did the Avalanche's goalie.

Some thoughts about hockey games:
-there is nothing like walking into the saddledome (into the actual rink area). the rush of cool air, the realization of how huge it is in there, the loud music....
-to those of you who may choose a hockey game for a first or even a second date - please don't. we don't want to hear about how much thought you put into your tattoos, or that you like action movies, or even that you don't really get along with your oldest brother. more hockey= less talking. you are just annoying the people who sit next to you.
-it drives me crazy when people scream at the players. don't get me wrong, i'm all for cheering. i just can't handle odd remarks like "shoot the puck!", or "get it out of there!". i'm pretty sure they are trying (quite hard) to shoot it and that they might have a better idea of when it is a better time to shoot the puck then we do. after all, they are playing in the NHL and we are, well, just watching. i think the players would like to score just as much as we want them to, maybe even more.
-and to the lady with the little boy who sat in front of us. yes, you may have a death grip on your sons jacket if you choose but please stop yelling "don't lean forward" at him, he's just trying to watch the game, and he will not fall all the way down to the ice. i promise.

I love going to hockey games. I wish that they were just as exciting on tv but they just aren't (agree?) Although, I missed Lombardi's pretty face (and his hockey skills), I will say that I think the Flames have a pretty good team this year. It was so fun. The screaming old lady beside me was hilarious, we got to see a shoot out, and Dan and I had some time to talk on the drive home ( we had to come up with something new to do because we don't talk about baby names anymore). We listened to alot of music (mostly Our Lady Peace), and talked alot about .... things for only us to know (ha). It was so fun (have I already said that?). I can't wait to go again in three weeks and to take Chels to her first ever NHL game. Counting down.....

oh! ... and thanks mom! (she was the lucky one to stay home with the other four kids, plus she had my sisters two boys because she won a trip to Hollywood! Have fun Meg!) A fabulous mother does that for her girls.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

You brought back my fond memories of Clayton surprising me and taking me to a Flames game once when we were visiting in Calgary. I tell everyone I met Wayne Gretzky (even though he was coaching way down on the ice, of course). It was just so much fun, and I'm glad you had a good time!

missLaura said...

we love hockey games too. That sounds like it was perfect!

Lorraine said...

Well i did enjoy watching the kids and spending time with them, the game sounds great. We had fun until about the 5th time I moved to a different bed and by then I was tired. I hope the kids have good memories of it all. I love all my grankids (17)and hope I get to spend a lot more time with them.

ec said...

so fun.

and i'm insanely jealous that you have your mother dear so dang close. someday ... i hope.