Tuesday, August 10, 2010

talie and stitch

I've been a mother for 9 years and 5 months (ish). I've had my share of hospital stays and emergency room visits but surprisingly we've never had one of our kids require stitches. Leave it to Natty. She is a wild one. You'd think by the time you have five kids you'd sorta know what you were doing, you know, like how to parent a bit. Natty reminds me daily that I'm nowhere near expertise in the area of motherhood.

It was our first day at the lake (for this visit). We just got the boat in the water and were getting ready for the first run of the day..... Natty slipped and smacked her head. I wasn't actually there but could hear her screaming from where I stood on the shore (with my book and a bag of chips in my hands). I figured she threw up because Dan was washing her off in the lake. No worries. I found my chair. That's when I saw the blood... and I was standing really far away!

It was just a tiny puncture that only took one stitch (it should have had more, the nice American doctor felt bad that she was screaming so decided one stitch and two steri-strips would do the trick.) She ripped the band-aid and the steri-strips off that night when I put her to bed. What a gal... and to top it off, it cost us $161 for the one little stitch.

Oh, and p.s. we call her "Talie" now instead of "Natty". It makes me feel better, like maybe she's confused when I call her and she dosen't listen rather than flat out ignoring me.

4 comments:

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

Thoughts from me:
- the name change made me laugh
- the book and bag of chips sounds dreamy
- she looks cute with that little stitch on her forehead!

Jill said...

Levi has already had stitches. He got a few in his finger and had to wear a winter glove duck taped to his hand so he wouldn't pull out the stitches. And yesteday Dani swallowed a decorative marble which almost required an ER visit to ease my mind, but we decided she was okay. And as kids, Shane and I got stitches one day apart when we down at the lake. I think the Dr's thought what is with this family. Kids! I'm glad she just needed one stitch.

themccarthys said...

now she will have a scar to match nixons just on the other side of her head kids kids kids

stone's eye view said...

I love it. Of course she isn't listening because of course she would if she knew you were talking to her.