The last book I read was one called 'I Don't Know How She Does It' by Allison Pearson. It's about a working mother who battles with her own self-doubt and guilt of leaving her kids with a nanny everyday. She loves her kids but she loves her job too.
What the book lacked in plot, it made up for in awesome descriptions of motherhood, marriage and well, just being a female.
I really wished the book was mine rather than a library book because I would have marked some of the parts that I loved. Now going back, I can't find many of them. I wanted to write them down before I return the book because some of them are exactly how I feel about somethings, some parts are just beautifully written and some are just plain funny (funny cause they're true).
"Babies never extend any credit. They have a tyrant's disdain for fairness. They grant no time off for cuddles received, no parole for long hours spent nursing in the dark. You can answer that cry a hundred times, and on the hundred and first they'll have you court-martialed for desertion."
"Can you think of any way to relieve some of the pressures in your life? Oh, let's see now: a brain transplant, a lottery win, my husband reprogrammed to figure out that things left at the bottom of the stairs usually need to be carried to the top of the stairs."
One of my very favorites (because it is so "me")
"What every woman knows and no man can ever grasp is that even if he brings home everything on the list, he will not have got the right things. Why? Because the woman truly believes that if she had gone to the supermarket she would have made better choices: a plumper chicken from a more luxuriantly pastured region of France, a yummier yogurt, the exact salad leaf she has yearned for and whose precise name had, until the epiphany in front of the Healthy Eating cabinet, eluded her. Men make lists to order the world, to tie it down; for women, lists are the start of something, the coordinates by which we plot our journey to freedom. Don't get me wrong here: I'm not claiming that any of this is fair. When a woman buys an item not on the list which turns out to be inedible, this is called "an experiment"; when a man does the same thing, it is a "waste of money"."
"Why can't supermarkets designate a Working Mother Aisle where you can be served by surly super efficient androids?"
"It goes so quickly, doesn't it? One day they're saying all those funny little things you promise yourself you'll write down and never do, and then they're talking like some streetwise kid or, even worse, they're talking just like you. I will my children to grow up quicker and I mourn every minute I have missed of their infancy."
4 comments:
Those quotes are SO good...I just read them all aloud to JD, because they are so true!!
This is funny you just posted this b/c I just watched this movie yesterday. Not sure if this is only in the movie or in the book too, but I thought it was funny and true when she said men don't make lists. I might have to read the book now.
Well I guess I need to renew my library card! Or maybe just amazon, so I can mark it up;) (I often take iphone pics of fav passages)
I love that last one especially. And the list one, for sure, Ben is always confused when my lists aren't these conclusive, logically organized specifics to tackle, but all possibilites and connections and maybes I'm considering in response to the outcome of other parts of my list. (she said it better)
Wasn't there a movie of this made recently?
Awesome quotes...so true eh!
Post a Comment