I changed my socks three times yesterday, for various reasons. The first pair hit the mound of dirty laundry (that is taking over!) after I stepped in orange jello on my kitchen floor. The second pair was retired after stepping on a soggy diaper Dan was changing. The third pair came off when I got home from a birthday party and was getting ready for bed. I then put a new pair on sometime in the night when I was up with the baby and my feet were cold.
So as I was gathering socks from all around the laundry basket this morning (somehow none of them made it in the basket?) I got to thinking.... I don't even like socks. I'd much prefer bare feet. Why did I keep putting on clean socks?
Now, this may seem quite random, but don't worry... I'll pull it all together at the end of the post.
I went to a birthday party last night and didn't come home until 1 am. It felt so good to get out and visit with other moms. I didn't feel judged when I told stories of throwing Cheerios at Natty from the treadmill and wiping my kids noses on the inside of their t-shirts. It's a rejuvenation of sorts.
All night I lay awake thinking about these things... shedding a tear when Natty finished nursing, she sighs, rosy cheeked and milk-drunk. I thought about how I stepped in jello and convinced myself that I shouldn't be sad that the kitchen floor never stays clean for more that 5 minutes. One day it when the kids are old and gone, when it is clean for days I'll have to invite the grand kids over to spill some jello. And I may not be sad to kiss diapers goodbye but I will sure miss everything these baby days bring... the softness, the sweetness....
And I thought about bare feet. I thought about feeling absolutely comfortable...in bare feet... and in my attempts at motherhood. The rejuvenation from last night brought with it a fulfillment that has me brimming with love for my family, hope for myself to be a better mom, and not to worry so much about dirty floors, or mountains of laundry, or how other mom's might be doing it all. I have hope that my goals for myself and for my family can be a work in progress rather than an accomplishment and that that is okay. As long as I am giving it my all, which I am, that is the best I can do... bare feet and all.
6 comments:
You are a wonderful mother and I was glad to see on the weekend that you don't sweat the small stuff but spend your time enjoying your family.I'm also thankful for your freinds who invite you over to spend time with them and rejuvinate yourself.
Andrea you are SO amazing!! You are such a wonderful mom and I'm so glad to be getting to know you better and to have you as a friend. Motherhood is the best thing ever... and I have to tell myself too all of the time not to worry about the small stuff like clean floors and such. That party was fun last night... you are a serious party animal! I would have stayed longer if I knew that others were. Glad you had a great time.
LOVED this post so much. I think you and I have been having the same thoughts latley. Before we know it the house will be empty and we will wish for these crazy, hectic, not so clean days back again.
That was amazing Andy. I love it and it just shows that you are such a great mom.
Woody ALWAYS leaves dirty diaper s on the floor too. So gross!
Ditto. I don't know what else to say, except that I think you are amazing!
Oh you BRAT! lol! You totally have me crying right now. Ugh Thanks for keeping it real.
Post a Comment