I was totally exhausted all ready and requested my first ever epidural right away. It was about 5 o'clock and Dan was debating going to play his hockey game at 7 and coming back to the hospital in time for the birth. I just pretended he was joking but was a bit worried when I sent him home to get my bag. Thankfully, he came right back. Throughout the night, he kept telling me I could not have the baby before midnight because his mom's birthday was the next day. I think she got the best birthday present ever.
So labour began and things were moving along well. I was thoroughly enjoying the spinal I received and was feeling quite relaxed. So relaxed in fact that I was worried I was going to fall asleep. Dan and Dr. were talking about boring movies like Matrix and Lord of the Rings (shoot me now, I'd rather give birth.)
Dr. was hungry so decided to go for a burger (this was at about 10:30 pm). This labour was my longest and I attribute that to the epidural. While the doctor was gone, the baby started to show some signs of stress. Her heart rate would go down during the contractions and there had been thick meconium in the amniotic fluid (as did Ty and Chels). The longer labour went on, the worse the decelerations got. Dr. came back (smelling of onions), and we all watched the monitors closely for the next couple of hours. This was the first labour and delivery that we invited my mom to come in for. She was pretty excited to be there but the atmosphere was tense and I can still hear her soothing words whispered in my ear.
The nurse was holding the monitor on my belly and was continually moving it around to hear the heartbeat. During one contraction that not-so- steady little beat went bu-bump, bu-bump, .....bu,bump, ........bu, ....bump, ..... bu. And nothing. I honestly feel sick right now typing this. All I remember is the nurse turning to the doctor and saying "uh, doc, we need to get this babe out now" My poor doctor turned around, street clothes and all, didn't even take time for gloves looked into my eyes and said, "you have one push, you can do it". And I did, thank goodness she was so tiny because she was able to be born quite quickly. But not quickly enough....
The room was silent as the five of us stared down at this tiny blue baby lying on the end of the bed. My doctor looked totally devastated and I don't think he knew quite what to do.
You know that part on 101 Dalmations when Perdita delivers her pups and the nanny is running back and forth announcing the puppies as they arrive. Then backtracks and returns with a pup in a cloth, rubbing it in her palm, until it's little pink nose pokes out. Honestly, that is exactly what it was like. I remember asking over and over again "is she okay? she's okay, right?" and receiving no answer. Thank goodness for the nurse. I remember her name and exactly what she looks like. She scooped up that tiny babe, wrapped her up and rubbed her back. Kami let out a "mew" of a kitten and took a deep breath. Understatement: what a relief.
Once we knew that Kami was going to be okay and the good Dr. and I took care of unfinished business, he exclaimed "well, that explains it". The umbilical cord was tied in a true knot. It was quite huge, in fact, the whole cord in between the knot and Kami's belly was huge (that explains Kami's astronomical outie, hee hee). The knot was tied so tight that the doctor could barely work his finger through. It truly is a miracle that she is even here with us. (Get this, Paige was born with a knot too, Crazy, hey? I looked it up online and it said 1% of babies have knots in the umbilical cord, with 10% of babies surviving pregnancy, let alone delivery!).
So Kami was whisked away to the NICU where I had to wait until morning to see her again. The reports from the night nurse were disappointing as she reported to me that the baby was too tiny, had failure to thrive and would not suck on a bottle.
However, being born at 4lbs, 10 oz's made Kami hungry. She didn't want the bottle because she wanted to breastfeed! The first morning I got to hold her she nursed and nursed, in fact by that night she no longer needed to be in the NICU because she was doing so well. We even got to take her home the next day. It is unusual to be able to take a baby weighing less that 5 lbs home but Kami was just doing so well. She was born at 2:26 am which is probably about the time she'll be climbing into bed between Dan and I tonight. Kami is still feisty when it comes to getting what she wants at home. She is also painfully shy, (or really stubborn) and likes to stay home with her family. She loves to pick her toe lint and will play for hours with anything. Her hair is out of control and so is her imagination. I can honestly say that when she joined our family she added such a spirit of peace and love. It's almost indescribable. That's probably why she gets away with anything. You just cannot get mad at that face. When she cries, it really does hurt my heart. She is still such an itty bitty thing and although sometimes I worry about her it is what makes Kami Kami. Every night when I roll over to find her in my bed I clasp my fingers around her twig leg and thank my Heavenly Father for her and for all of my children. I am so blessed. Has it really been five years?
Fairly soon after delivery. Check out those skis, she still has l o n g, skinny feet.
Fairly soon after delivery. Check out those skis, she still has l o n g, skinny feet.
Swamped in the NICU's preemie clothes.

Baby Kami with Baby Ty. He had a fat lip from falling on the stairs trying to get to the potty.
Baby Kami with Baby Chels
9 comments:
Wow. That was a nice way to start my day. I even got emotional. Its nice to know that Heavenly Father is ultimately in charge and to see how he sometimes takes control in our lives sure is a testimony builder. She seems like such a sweet little thing! I hope she has fun at her party!
what a great story. That must of been so scary, i can't imagine! She sure is cute though!
WOW what a great story.... I'm so glad that she is a part of your family! She is such a sweet little girl and I can't imagine your family without her. This made me laugh and cry... dang doc coming back smelling like onions- gross!!
What a happy ending! Loved reading this post. You think onions was gross...when I had Carson my Dr. came in smelling like SMOKE...yeah he is a smoker....GROSS!
What an amazing story Andy. So touching.
When I read this yesterday at your place I cried. Kami wondered why I was sad and I just said sometimes people cry when they are really happy. It was scarey. I remember driving back to your house after and crying. I prayed and prayed and finally just left it all in the Lord's hands and went right to sleep when I got to your place. She is truley a miracle and a joy to have in our family.
What an amazing story. She is your little miracle for sure.
she is mini! and so stinkin' cute!
It seems every week you have a birthday in your house! I love your labour stories!!
Post a Comment