Monday, May 18, 2009

review

On Friday my incredibly talented friend and I decided to make our girls some new dresses (just what my girls need.... not.) We met at the fabric store to choose our materials. We learned that you should never ask a five year old and two seven year olds their opinion on fabric. We finally gave them an option of three different combinations we had picked out beforehand. I think it took us an hour to finally decide which material to actually use. Shaunie whipped up a pattern (sort of) and we got down to it. The kids played fabulously all afternoon, we took a short break to make some pizza and bread sticks for dinner (at which time my mom phoned while the smoke detector was going off, while Kami came in bawling with a skinned knee.....). I'm sure my neighbours wondered if a mother was home at all.....

But by 10 pm the dresses were done. The house was a complete disaster. Most of the kids were still awake (the babies were out and Kami had fallen asleep under the kitchen table where we worked). But it was so worth it. I think the dresses turned out so cute and it was so much fun to sew all day. I hope to be doing it again soon as I bought some super cute material to make dresses for the little girls.


***************************

On Saturday, after waking up at 7:30 and cleaning until 9:30 the house was semi-recovered. We had plans to meet friends in Waterton and had a stop in Cardston to make along the way. We quickly packed a picnic lunch and headed out. It was such a fun day. The weather was not great but the kids didn't seem to notice and we still stopped for ice cream cones at the end of the day. It was nice to have a friend to hang out with while our husbands were working and for having 8 kids between the two of us we managed walking around Waterton quite well.


***************************


Sunday brought church and all the pleasantness that entails. The boost this weekly ritual gives my system, my motherhood, my soul is indescribable. I did Sharing Time in Primary and we talked about baptism. Can you even imagine being John the Baptist and having Jesus come to you, asking you to baptize Him?

We had Dan's parents over for dinner and it was a lot of fun. I'm trying to be better at having them over once in a while. The meal was very tasty and Grandma and Grandpa seemed very relaxed and had fun with the kids.


***************************

Monday, today, I slept in. Then read in bed for awhile... well, until 8:30 when I remembered Ty had a birthday party to go to at 10 and I hadn't gotten a gift yet. So we quickly got ready and headed out to the store. We met up with Dan who had been at work, checked out the garden center at Canadian Tire and then went out for lunch. Our afternoon was lazy, so in other words great. I read all afternoon while the babies napped and Dan tinkered outside in the yard for a while until the kids ball game.

So all in all it was a pretty nice weekend. I'm getting used to Dan working all the time and am not letting it limit the things I do with the kids. It's always more fun with him of course and we are definitely looking forward to his time off this summer and more trips to Waterton.
*******************
Oh, and can you even believe my baby is going to be one this week?! (sniff, sniff)

8 comments:

Kelli Olsen said...

very cute dresses! It was fun to see you guys at Waterton!

ec said...

one? i cannot believe that. she is adorable.

and i'm loving those apron dresses. i've been keeping my eye open for a pattern that i love, but haven't yet. so cute.

sounds like life is good!

Anonymous said...

andrea- thos are so adorable. Whenever I sew I phone Shaunie, she is so great at it and I can't read a pattern to save my life. I have a personal blog now so if you want to check it out it is www.jillandryanalston.blogspot.com

Jodi Pilling said...

LOVE the dresses. I have been wanting to make Grace a knot dress for awhile now...but decided to attempt something easier first. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Very cute dresses! I am so not a seamstress, and yet I'm about to try to tackle cub neckers for 4 boys who don't have them in my primary... The things we'll do for our kids, eh? I love doing sharing times too -- it's such a great opportunity to learn and feel the spirit (and hopefully the kids do too!).

Vanessa said...

Amazing that time has gone so quickly! You're very talented. I've got load of sewing to do, but they are just sitting in piles for now!

Amanda said...

Those dresses are so CUTE! I love Kami's. I will definately have to find myself a pattern for a knot dress. See you next week!

Anonymous said...

Justin was right...those ARE really cute dresses! One day, I'm going to learn to sew!