Monday, February 8, 2010

letting go


Today was a day for letting go. Moving on... and growing up.


There were some tears. There was a lot of snuggling... and more thumb sucking than usual.


It's hard to give up something you love. Something that's been around for a year. It was warm and soothing and somehow made her feel better when she was sad. It was nice for me. It was easy. It stopped her crying. She'd snuggle with me while she had it. It kept her a baby just a little while longer.


I think it's as hard for me as it is for her (maybe harder). There's just something about offering her a warm "ba-ba", knowing how happy it makes her. Holding her and counting down with the microwave and letting her push the button to open the door. It was all so exciting for her. As soon as she heard the microwave beep she'd run into the kitchen asking "ba-ba?". I hated to let her down.


I knew today was coming. She asked for it less and less as the day went on, and didn't even ask for one at bedtime. She usually had one before bed and if I forgot (and even when I didn't) she'd be sure to ask me "ba-ba"? when I said "bedtime".


She's growing up. She's my last baby. She'll be two! in May. How did it happen? and so quickly?


It's going to be hard for me to get totally rid of the "ba-ba's " around here. They've been around for a long time. I was always in a rush to get rid of them with my other babies, knowing they'd be used again. This time they won't.


Don't get me wrong. I wanted to do this. For her teeth, for my grocery bill (and for her bowels). It's just one more step in saying goodbye to babies. Which makes me sad.


For the last few days when I tell Natty it's "time for bed" or "time for a nap" she says "minute" and runs away. It's so dang cute I can hardly stand it. She is so funny, and busy, and talking up a storm. I just don't understand how it happened so quickly?!

5 comments:

Angie said...

me and my kids called it a "baba" too, right now carson is sleeping in a 3T sleeper, its getting tight on him but he loves his sleeper and it does remind me of when he was itty bitty...your right its super hard letting go.

Lorraine said...

Natty seemed to be doing pretty good with her cup. She's so smart I can't get over it. She reminds me a lot of you. Good memories from the past. I loved rocking her and having her hug me tight. It's so comforting. I'm glad Ty still hugs me too and the other kids. Chels is a bit cheap with her hugs but that makes them extra special when she does hug me.

Candace said...

That is a happy/sad moment I'm sure. But hey, now you are moving on to bigger and better and maybe crazier days with all the kids getting involved with school and extracurricular things. You are an old women now, just kidding!

Jodi Pilling said...

ahhh...I too feel your pain! Grace will be 2 in July and she LOVES her ba ba. I just can't bear to let her part with it just yet...but I know the day is soon coming. It is hard to let go and move on. But I know there are good things to come too. Each stage is good...each stage is hard.

Christal said...

I just love the way you write! You are so good at saying it just like it is! Good or bad. Happy or sad. Sad when our babies just keep growing up eh! She is so cute. Sometimes things are just easier to keep doing like a soother cause it solves a lot of chaos but eventually they have to grow up! great post!