Monday, May 30, 2011

unconditioned

Yesterday I got to visit with my good, good friend Jodi. I miss her... (she moved away).... Anyways, we were talking about how hard it is being a mom. We'd both had the kind of weeks where as mothers, we're ready to throw in the towel.

It had been a hard week. Chelsey missed a birthday party and Ty missed his hockey game due to misbehaviour at home. I have decided that when I say something I need to start following through. I think the kids were both surprised that they really weren't going to their thing but hopefully they learned a lesson.

It was hard. There were lots of tears. From them and me! I tried to explain to them that it is really hard for me as a mom to not let my children do the things that they love to do and to see them so unhappy. But ultimately it was up to them to be respectful and obedient to be able to enjoy parties and extra-curricular activities.

So, Jodi and I were talking about our tough weeks. We discussed how our kids can be so hard to deal with. Acting out at home and such. I thought about this a lot today. This is what I came up with....

When I think of Jodi's kids I think they are good kids. They are respectful to me, always polite and just fun and nice to be around. People tell me the same thing about my kids. I smile and say thanks but inside I'm wondering 'really?!?, wow- you should see them at home. that doesn't sound like my kids at all....'

They act up at home because they are testing their limits. They're learning, growing and figuring out what works in life and what doesn't. They are being kids.

And they do it at home because they know that no matter what - they will still be loved here.

As a mother, what better gift can I give my children then that of unconditional love.

This thought made me feel way better. Waaayyyy better.

7 comments:

Julie Lybbert said...

How true! :-) Thanks for your post.

Vanessa said...

Great thinking! I often feel the same way about how people seem my kids. But I have to remember that they are generally great kids. Thanks for reminding me that that is what home is for!

Christal said...

awesome post so funny that I wrote about the same thing yesterday too! Its so hard sometimes! I woke up yesterday morning and thought I need to get this out or I'm going to blow {pretty much!} You are an awesome mom! Following through is so key and I'm going to work harder on that too!

Sharon said...

AMEN!

Candace said...

This has totally been me lately. I'm trying to crack down and be a stickler with them. Good luck, I'll be thinking of you and how we are all in this together. The joys of being a mother, right?

kelseyp said...

So true Andrea!! I love your blog.. I love how real and down to earth you are. Thanks for this post!

Chelsea Belle said...

I LOVE this quote. I realize that my own worst behavior usually happens at home` too. Just means we feel safe. But this quote made me realize that it's part of the power of home and how God made it.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell has stated:

“The pressures of life in a family will mean that we shall be known as we are, that our frailties will be exposed and, hopefully, we shall then work on them. … It is an encounter with raw selfishness, with the need for civility and taking turns, of being hurt and yet forgiving, of being at the mercy of others’ moods and yet understanding, in part, why we sometimes inflict pain on each other. … The home gives us a great chance to align our public and private behavior, to reduce the hypocrisy in our lives, to be more congruent with Christ”

(Ensign, February 1972, page 7).